Technology is advancing at warp speed, and the way we live is changing constantly. Indeed, what was once lifestyle bedrock is now going the way of the dinosaurs.
For example, when I backpacked in Europe more than three decades ago, I kept in touch with my family by way of aerogrammes and postcards. Those days are gone. My daughter just started her study abroad program in Copenhagen, and within hours of hitting Danish soil, I heard from her by way of Facebook messages and mobile telephone calls via Skype.
Continue reading High Tech Replacing Familiar Favorites, But Low Tech Will Live On
Back in the 1990s, there was talk of the coming “information superhighway.” Now we are traveling at warp speed on that highway. Take a look at some of these jaw-dropping stats:
- Facebook now boasts more than 800 million active users, with 350 million gaining access from mobile devices.
- Roughly 70 percent of Facebook users are located outside of the United States.
- Every month about 30 billion content links are shared on Facebook.
- Remarkably, Facebook users install 20 million apps every day.
- Almost half of 18-34 year-old users check Facebook when they wake up, with more than a quarter of users doing so before they even leave the bed.
Continue reading Technology and the Internet By the Numbers