Data privacy laws take effect during 2023 in California, Virginia, Colorado, Utah, and Connecticut. Specifically:
- California Privacy Rights Act, effective January 1, 2023
- Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act, effective January 1, 2023
- Colorado Privacy Act, effective July 1, 2023
- Connecticut Data Privacy Act, effective July 1, 2023
- Utah Consumer Privacy Act, effective December 31, 2023
Other states are actively considering the implementation of a comprehensive privacy law.
Currently, the United States does not have a federal data privacy law. In May 2022, a bipartisan group of legislators introduced the American Data Privacy and Protection Act (“ADPPA”), which includes federal preemption of state laws with some exceptions, such as a limited private right of action for certain privacy violations.
As we enter the last quarter of 2022, make preparations to comply with the new state data privacy laws.