Tag Archives: work permit


Foreigners with bachelor’s degrees and at least three years of experience working in their respective fields are no longer required to obtain work permits in Vietnam, according to a decree approved by Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung, IF they work in Vietnam for less than 30 days and less than 90 days in total in a year (Decree No. 11/2016/ND-CP).

The decree contains implementation guidelines for some items related to the management of foreign employees under the Law on Employment.

Under the new decree which was released recently, the following foreign employees are exempted from work permit:
1. Capital contributing member or owner of a limited liability company;
2. Member of the board of management of a shareholding company;
3. Head of a representative office or of a project of an international organization or non-governmental organization in Vietnam;
4. Entering Vietnam for a period under three (3) months in order to offer services;
5. Entering Vietnam for a period under three (3) months in order to resolve an incident [breakdown] or technically or technologically complex situation arising and affecting, or with the risk of affecting production or business with which Vietnamese experts or foreign experts currently in Vietnam are unable to deal;
6. A foreign lawyer issued with a certificate to practice law in Vietnam in accordance with the law on lawyers;
7. A student studying in Vietnam is permitted to work in Vietnam, but the employer must provide seven (7) days advance notice to the provincial State administrative authority for labour;
8. Intra-corporate transferee and within the scope of the eleven (11) services on the List of Commitments on Services of Vietnam with WTO namely business services; information services; construction services; distribution services; education services; environment services; financial services; medical health services; tourism services; culture and entertainment services; and transportation services;
9. Coming to Vietnam to provide expert and technical consultancy services or to undertake other tasks servicing the work of research, formulation, evaluation, monitoring and assessment, management and implementation of a program or project using official development aid (ODA);
10. Being issued with an operational licence in the information and press [sector] in Vietnam by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
11. Being appointed by a foreign agency or organization to come to Vietnam to teach or to conduct research in an international school managed by a foreign diplomatic office or organization in Vietnam, or certified by the Ministry of Education and Training to come to Vietnam to lecture or conduct research in an educational and training establishment in Vietnam;
12. Volunteers with certification from a foreign diplomatic office or international organization in Vietnam;
13. Coming to Vietnam to work as an expert, manager, executive director or technician for a working period under thirty (30) days and for a total cumulative period not exceeding ninety (90) days in any one (1) year;
14. Coming to Vietnam to implement an international agreement signed by a central or provincial level agency or organization in accordance with law;
15. A student currently studying at a school or training establishment overseas and who has an agreement on practical training at an agency, organization or enterprise in Vietnam;
16. Relations of members of a foreign representative agency in Vietnam who are working, after the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has so permitted, except where an international treaty of which Vietnam is a member contains some other provision; and
17. A person with service passport working for a State agency, political organization or socio-political organization.

The local Department of Labour, War Invalids and Social Affairs will be the in-charge authority to certify foreign employees to be exempted from work permit upon request by the employers within at least seven (7) working days from the work commencement of the foreign employees (except for employees under points (4)-(5) and (13) above.

The Decree will be in full effect from 01 April 2016.


Please contact Oliver Massmann under omassmann@duanemorris.com in case you have questions on the above. Oliver Massmann is General Director of Duane Morris Vietnam LLC.




1. 「専門家」の定義は改正されます。以下のいずれの外国人が対象となります。

(1) 外国で専門家として書面にて認められている者

(2) 技術者の資格を取得している者あるいは大学での学位以上を取得している者

(3) ベトナムで就労しようとする職務分野で最低5年以上の職務経歴がある者

2.  定期的の外国人雇用の年間雇用計画の提出義務が廃止され、採用の必要性が生じる際にのみ雇用者は労働局の承認を得れば結構です。

3.  労働許可証が免除される外国人は、新たに2項目追加されました。

(1) 30日未満の期限で働くためにベトナムへ入国する外国人

(2) ベトナム国外の学校や職業順連機関で就学中の生徒・学生がベトナムで就労する場合この(2)は海外からの研修生が対象になると思われます。

4.  サービスを提供するためにベトナムへ3か月未満の期間で入国する外国人、または、30日未満働く為にベトナムへ入国する外国人(上記の3、(2)を参考)は、労働許可証取得免除の承認手続きも不要となります。しかし、労働許可証免除期間は労働許可証と同じく最大2年間となっています。

5. 健康診断書は、発行日から12ヶ月以内のものであればベトナム国内外どちらの医療機関で発行された健康診断書でも申請可能です。

6.  現行法では、無犯罪証明書はベトナムで発行されたものと海外で発行されたもの両方が必要な場合がありましたが、今後はどちらか一つ提出すれば十分になる予定です。

7.  申請書類に関してですが、申請者が書類を提出する際に提出するコピーと比較できるよう原本の提示が可能であれば、合法化したコピーの代わりに公証されていないコピーでも書類の申請ができるようになる予定です。

8.  以下の外国人はベトナムで働く為の申請手続きが簡素化されます。

(1)  同じ役職(ポジション)で別雇用者のもとで働く者

(2)  別の役職(ポジション)で同雇用者のもとで働く者

9.  労働許可証の発給にかかる法定期間が10営業日から7営業日に減少されます。

10.  労働許可証の再発行(更新)の申請期間は、現行法上では労働許可証の有効期限切れの5~15日以内でしたが、今後5~45日以内で申請提出期間がより柔軟な条件となっています。

以上、日本語でのお問い合わせは japanese@duanemorris.comまでお寄せください。


Vietnam Work Permit Headaches Look Set to Ease

By Giles Cooper, Manfred Otto, and Nhan T. Le of Duane Morris Vietnam LLC

The latest draft decree amending Decree 102/2013/ND-CP eases conditions for employing foreign workers in Vietnam. It is still a draft, but we are hopeful that is it is close to final.

10 improvements to look forward to under the new decree:

  1. Revised definition of “foreign expert” to be a foreigner who:
    (i) is recognized in writing by a foreign country as an expert;
    (ii) has qualifications at level of engineer, bachelor’s degree or higher; or
    (iii) has at least 5-year experience working in the proposed position in Vietnam.
  2. Removes the obligation on annual demand plan for hiring foreign employees. The employer will only be required to obtain the labor authorities approval when the recruitment demand arises.
  3. Two new work permit exemptions for foreigners who:
    (i) come to Vietnam to work for less than 30 days; and
    (ii) are studying at schools or training institutions outside of Vietnam and who come to Vietnam to work. Point (ii) may cover foreign interns.
  4. Expats entering Vietnam to offer services for less than 3 months and those who come to Vietnam to work for less than 30 days (see point 3(i) above) will also be exempted from the procedure to confirm that they are work permit exempted. (However, the work permit exemption confirmation will only be valid up to 2 years, which is the same as the maximum term of a work permit).
  5. Health certificates will be accepted whether they are issued by a Vietnamese or offshore healthcare provider, provided that they are issued within 12 months before applying for the work permit.
  6. Criminal records issued either in Vietnam or in a foreign country will suffice (instead of requiring both Vietnamese and foreign records as under current law).
  7. Application documents: a non-certified copy will be acceptable instead of a legalized copy, so long as the applicant can present the original document for comparison when submitting it.
  8. Simplifies the application procedures for expats who would like to work:
    (i) for another employer in the same position; or
    (ii) for the same employer but in another position.
  9. Reduces the statutory time for issuing a work permit from 10 working days to 7 working days.
  10. Extended filing period for work permit re-issuance of 5 to 45 days before the current permit expires. (Only 5 to 15 days under current law.)

For more information please contact Giles T. Cooper or Manfred Otto.
日本語でのお問い合わせは japanese@duanemorris.com までお寄せください。

 Disclaimer: This post has been prepared and published for informational purposes only and is not offered, nor should be construed, as legal advice. Each case should be analyzed individually with the support of competent legal counsel. For more information, please see the firm’s full disclaimer.

New Work Permit (Re)Issuance Requirements in Vietnam

By Giles T. Cooper, Manfred Otto, Nhan T. Le, Duane Morris Vietnam


Work permits for foreign employees can no longer be extended; reissuance is required since November 2013. Reissuance requires almost the same amount of paperwork as an initial application, except for a criminal record and certain supporting documents. New regulations now also require approval from the Chairman of the provincial People’s Committee regarding the annual demand for foreign employees. The People’s Committee approval must be submitted with the work permit application. However, compared to extensions in the past, a reissuance does not require a training contract with a Vietnamese national. Continue reading New Work Permit (Re)Issuance Requirements in Vietnam



By Giles T. Cooper, Manfred Otto, Nhan T. Le, Duane Morris Vietnam

外国人従業員の就労許可証の延長は不可能となり、2013年11月より労働許可証(ワークパーミット)の再発行が必要となりました。無犯罪証明書及び特定の補助書類を除き、再発行は初めての申請の場合とほぼ同様の書類を提出しなければなりません。また、新制度により、雇用者は外国人の年間雇用計画について人民委員会委員長の事前承認が必須となります。人民委員会の承認書は、ワークパーミットの申請時にも提出しなければなりません。一方、以前の延長で条件となっていたベトナム人との育成・研修契約は、再発行の申請では不要となりました。 Continue reading ベトナム労働許可証(再)発行の条件